[PyrNet-L] CHAT, CARE, BEHAVIOR: Obedience; let pups be pups;Tricks & Games & Activities

   Someone mentioned on another list that they were concerned when they wanted
to put leash on their 15 week old Golden  he layed down and rolled around &
even showed his teeth a little.  I told them that I'm not sure I'd be freaking
out just yet, as my Great pyrenees Albert often does this rolling around on
his back & he even makes growling sounds. I think he's just playing, as he
even does it when we are not near him. He's getting a good back rub that way &
having fun play-acting, I think.  I either stand back & have a good laugh
watching him, or go in and rub his belly.  He stops immediately for a belly
rub!  He's in Heaven when you rub his belly!  Pups are still pups! Let's not
try to over-train them & rob them of their youthful exuberance completely!  So
much of what they do is natural for them!  Even things we SHOULD train out of
them, like nipping,  was natural for them to do with their littermates & meant
to be playful and not meant to be mean.  So we need to understand their
behavior and not over-react to it, as we work to reshape it.
    My Albert is 7 mos. old & still a pup & playful.  He did get into kicking
me with his feet sometimes, or even putting his mouth on my hand,  when I
examined his claws or something.  One thing we have trained him to understand
is "Settle" for when we want him to settle down, and  act like a gentleman.
And for working with his feet I started examining them everyday and giving him
a treat if held still while I examined a foot and rubbed it & squeezed pads,
etc..  He got a treat for every foot he let me examine nicely.  He's better
about it now. If he didn't let me, then it was back to the pen for 10 minutes
& then we tried again.
    He's troubled by hot spots (allergic reaction) & when I examine and put
med. on it he tries to get away or kick me if he's laying down, as they are
VERY sensitive.  Sometimes "Sit" or "Lay down" or "Settle" will do the trick,
and often I'll try to examine with him laying down & I'll position myself at
his back, so he's not kicking me. Think this is one of the harder things to
train them to behave for: Treatment of wound or sore or injury.  Sometimes it
helps to put them on a very short leash and hook it to something sturdy sthat
they can't reach their head around to where you are treating their
wound/sore/injury.  We made one that's only about one foot long.
    If putting on the leash is what you want to do then "Sit" would seem the
way to go. If he doesn't obey by third time I say it, then I leave him in the
pen for 10 minutes & then we'll try again.
   The time when he is first let out of his pen is when he's the most hyper.
He's come to realize that he needs to sit down then to be pet. He always SITS
to be petted now when we first greet him. Then what works best is if we can
use some big muscles in playtime right afterwards. Have him do some fetching
and soccer-playing and jumps.  This helps stop the excited jumping-up-on-you
stuff. He really wants some lovin' and so he'll sit for some attention. We
find body language helps a lot here if he doesn't do what we expect
immediately. A stern look and crossing our arms in front of us means: No
affection or goodies are being doled out until you settle down and act
appropriately. If he tries to jump, we say "NO!" , turn around and maybe walk
away even. (Unless I ask for "HUGS", then he's invited to put paws on my
shoulders and get a hug from me that way. But ONLY when INVITED!
    Now we are working on "Personal Space"!  That's for when you don't want
him crowding you,  but stay a few feet away.  He's doing better at "come" last
few days, but "Stay" when we go out of sight, still needs more work!! He's
afraid he's missing something & knows he's missing you. I personally think
this is probably a hard one for this breed, as they are guardian dogs and want
to keep an eye on things, including their humans.  Sometimes he'll do it &
sometimes not.
   We do a lot of extras too: He loves to "Shake Hands" and will do it to hand
or voice commands, same with "High Five" - These are Albert's 2 favorite
tricks!!! He even does "High Ten"!!  Think we've given up on "Sit up & Beg" -
is this always a hard one, balance-wise for a pyr? Definitely hard for Albert.
He does "Sleep" (lays down on his side perfectly still).  He'll do "Roll Over"
sometimes, as he'd prefer to stop 1/2 way & try to look irresistable & con you
into a belly rub!!  I'll ask him "Who wants a Belly Rub?" and make gesture &
he'll always obey that command readily!!!  And we use various voice commands
with same tone for that head between his paws sad look.  I can ask him
anything: "Did you remember to say your prayers?" , or "Do you miss
Jeremiah?", or "Did the neighbour dog take your toy?", or "Are you in
trouble?", or "Did anyone here get into the clean laundry?" or "Poor Baby! Are
you a starving pup? Do you need more food?" [for those of you who aren't aware
Albert used to be called "Fat Albert" in his litter as he was biggest & loved
to eat!!  So that's a joke!.] ......anything that you want a guilty or sad
face for and he'll do it!  This one is great for filming videos!!  Want to
teach him to "Say Prayers" on edge of furniture, maybe,  too.
   Who knows.....maybe someday there will be a Pyr in a movie that we won't
have to research who he is, as he'll be one already bragged about on the
lists!!!  You never know..... the rest of his family is all involved in the
theatre in one way or another & 4 out of 5 are actors!!! (Hubby is strictly
set construction, stage manager, sound effects- type guy) Plus, besides
acting, I direct & do costume design & set design & procur props &
furnishings!  I'll have to keep my eyes open for a script with a part for
Albert later on!  I kidded about maybe him playing the part of the WHITE COW
"Milky White" in "Into The Woods" - -my last musical in March!
   Now that the gang that was away at Nationals is back, I'll pose these
questions :
        1)  Do your pyrs do any interesting, fun, different tricks?
         2) Anyone who didn't already respond to this question:  Do you know
             any good games that pyrs & owners can play together? Or
activities
             that would be good for a pyr litter reunion I'm planning for July
19th?
             I've never been to a Pyrnic or Pyr-In yet, so could use ideas.
This one
             you can either post me privately (MagEBroD@aol.com) or post to
the
             list, depending on how long and how useful you think it is for
others
             on list.

  [ One gal wrote me on another list & said she taught her dog a trick:  "Roll
The Drunk"!!!  He can remove peoples' watches!  Even the kind that buckle!!
Told her if I ever see some lady on a street corner opening up he coat &
trying to sell watches displayed inside her coat, I'll have to ask if her
name's Mary Margaret!!  Especially if there's a guilty-looking pooch beside
her!! ]

:)   &   :)```      (me grinning & my Great Pyrenees Albert grinning &
drooling!)
Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol.com
Shelton, WA.