Re: [PyrNet-L] dominance/aggression

Maggie,

While I only have limited experience in this area, here are my limited
thoughts.  My Pyr Paddy also exhibits certain dominance/aggressive behaviors.
When I first got Paddy he was 4 years old.  He will be 7 years old next week.
He at first shared my home with two other Pyrs, Aslan (neutered male) and
Sekhet (spayed female).  It took a very long time, but Aslan, Sekhet and Paddy
eventually worked out a pecking order (my Tibbie TeaTime being "Boss Bitch"
over the household, followed by Sekhet.  Aslan was only slightly higher in
rank than Paddy and this was due to his senior status in age.

Aslan, Paddy and Sekhet had MANY aggressive incidents however most were
quickly resolved by my stern handling.

Today, Paddy still has many incidents of aggression with Black or dark colored
dogs - it does not seem to matter if the dog is neutered or not but does
primarily occur when it is a male dog.  Most females he is ok with.  Paddy
does however, occasionally get into tiffs with my Tibbie, Buddly which are
very easily resolved I think because Buddly only weighs 18 pounds.

As for if neutering will help, I believe you will see some change but it may
not be evident for six months (sometimes less).

Definitely consult with your vet for a complete medical workup, including a
thyroid test.  Sometimes aggression is triggered by a physiological issue not
evident by just looking at the dog.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Stephanie and Paddy (them Tibbies are a pain sometimes, but someone has to
guard them!)