Re: [PyrNet-L] dominance/aggression

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Rj Woods wrote:

> > >We have done all kinds of speculation as to what sets off the dominance
> > >behavior. It seldom happens with long-haired dogs; dislike is more
> > >prevalent towards some breeds (German shepherds and ridgebacks, for
> > >example);
>
> Shepherds look similar to a coyote.Kerry

Just an observation w/ my pyr bitch - 15 mos

We walk a lot in the evenings.  We come across many other dogs - some
behind fences, some on unescorted walk abouts, and some walking their own
people.  In general Marcella does not pay attention to other dogs.  If a
dog is loose she may posture until I tell her otherwise.  A few times a
barking dog will be responded to w/ a bark - her usual deep bark - until I
tell her to hush.

A few nights ago we were about 2 blocks from home after a long walk.  It
was about 20 minutes after sundown.  We have canyons, open fields and
orange groves all around us - w/ appropriate wild-life.  Through this
residential neighborhood a coyote came.  He/she (didn't get that good of a
look <g>) was darting from bush to bush, looked both ways before crossing
a fairly busy street and continued to scamper up the street.  When
Marcella spotted him/her she went into *immediate* posturing.  Then she
let out this high-pitched alarm bark - not at all her usual bark.  She
continually turned to look back in the direction that the coyote had gone,
until the coyote's form went totally out of sight.  She was hyper-alert
the rest of the way home.

What I found pertinent to this discussion is that she has *never* done
this w/ any other dog that we have come across - not even loose dogs.  We
have come across all sizes, all ear types of canines - but her reaction to
the coyote was unique.  The coyote did not seem to respond to her - she
was the initiator.

Cecilia
cjulagay@wiley.csusb.edu