[PyrNet-L] Aggression and Pyrs

Hi everyone,

Just a note on aggression and Pyrs. One of the characteristics
that attracted my husband and I to this breed years ago was
their ability to accurately "psych" out a situation and respond
in the least aggressive manner. Many times simply putting their
head or their body between me and a perceived threat was all
that was called for, and sufficed.

We targeted aggression in any form and we ran our kennel with
a zero tolerance. No one was allowed to fence fight. No growling
and no showing of teeth was permitted. Any and all aggressive
behavior was discouraged and if it continued punished.

Pyrs have size and they have presence. These two factors alone
quell most real and perceived problems. And there is an entire
repertoire of posturing which can take place before any actual
aggression occurs.

But there is another part of it - the need to call a spade a spade.
A long time Pyr owner kept telling me that her bitch was a real alpha
bitch, which may have been true, but what I saw was bad temperament.
This bitch went after any dog that got close enough for her to
lunge at - growling and snapping.

Once, at a fun match on neutal ground, this bitch went after Patou.
I was talking to the owner, and Patou was standing next to me
on his leash. The bitch lunged at him (with the owner hanging
on for dear life) and Patou did exactly what I love in the breed.
He side stepped her, and defused the confrontation. He obviously
did not perceive this bitch as a real threat perhaps because she was
going after him and not me.

This was not an alpha bitch. This was a bitch with a temperament
problem. This bitch was not showing the alpha dominance characteristic.
This bitch was showing aggression - plain and simple. There is
a bid difference, but the owner, a person who had been in the
breed almost as long as I have, did not know it.

Just my two cents worth.

--
  Carol
 Carol Brescher Boyle                Improving the health of our dogs,

 Need a wholesome dog-friendly recipe? See the "Recipe of the month"
        at the our web-site http://www.naturaldogfood.com