Re: [PyrNet-L] dominance/aggression

Janice Swenson wrote:

> Really, really, really.  I have a tendency to have my dogs outside
> on long lines when I'm working and doing stuff outside.  There used
> to be a rottie who jumped the fence across the street.  One time I
> had my older pyr (she was younger then) on her long line and the
> rottie crossed the street onto my property coming up toward me. There
> was nothing threatening about him at all.  My girl didn't know this
> dog and she just sat and watched.  The rottie never posed a threat
> so why should she do a thing other than watch.  I took the rottie
> back home.  I didn't know the rottie either other than knowing he got
> out from the neighbors.  I could go on with countless other times
> like this.  I also never had to tell her anything to tell her it's
> o.k.  I've also had them outside and I'm working and kids riding
> bikes and playing across my yard and people walking up and talking to
> me and the kids who can't listen to momma and ask permission and want
> to hug the big white dog.  She's taken it all in stride.  I've only
> seen her around twice in all the time I've had her go into a
> protective stance and when she does she rolls right in front of me
> and sits and just looks as if to say you don't cross me.  In these
> cases she was perfectly warranted.

Pyrs are usually boundry dogs.  Meaning...that they need a visible line
to show them where their property it.  While your dog may go into your
front yard on a line with you, she probably has not had the chance to
patrol the property, so in a sense she has not established it as *hers*.
The type of behavior you saw is what alot of pyrs do when on leash.  My
own do this too.

> I've tried to do this same thing with my young boy.  He's still
> supervised much more because he's still learning.  I do a lot of
> training and proofing against situations like this so I don't have a
> pyr flying off a handle for no reason.  I can't proof them against
> everything, but I don't think telling a judge in some courtroom
> when today's society is lawsuit happy and dangerous dog law crazy
> that the breed is territorial and dominant by nature will get you
> anywhere.

You are not understanding temperment.  Flying off the handel is NOT
being a natural guardian. Its called being out of control.  While you
own dogs are quite others may be more vocal.  I have one on each end of
the spectrum.
The guardian behavior of the pyr is established by its desire to be
alpha and its natrual territorial abilities.  Territorial does not mean
a dog that flies over a fence to kill the dog down the road, territorial
does not mean a dog that savagely attacks without cause, protective does
not mean a dog that growls at every one and snaps.  This is what many
people get confused on.  The great Pyrenees is a breed of dog that has
been bred to use body language, barking, charging, stomping, ect is the
body language used to deture predators and intruders.  It is absolutely
normal for a pyr to do this.
	No one wants their dog to wind up before a jude because of a
bite.  This is why understanding the nature of the breed is  nessasary
when people decide to own these dogs.  People who do their research
usually are aware of the dog's natural desire for territory and thus
they socialize the dog and dog basic training with it.  If you have pyrs
you must always keep in mind, no matter how well trained or seasoned
your dog is, he/she is a guardain and it is in his/her blood to protect.
 And if for one minute you allow yourself the luxary of thinking my dog
won't react, or my dog is a sweet teddy bear, or my dog is trained, then
you are setting yourself up for as accident.  THe breed is acient and no
amount of training will change the *basics* of its nature.  It will
always be a guardian and to not treat them like one is a recipe for
disaster.

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA