Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyrenees Retriever?

At 11:58 AM 5/22/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Colette,

Weeeeeellllll, lets just say that those Pyrs that chase a ball and play
fetch just aren't the pick puppy for livestock work :)!

That being said, I have two Pyrs that fetch. Both do long recalls 95% of the
time (in enclosed areas of course) at a brisk trot or run. The fetching game
goes on for about ten or fifteen minutes until they get tired of pouncing on
the rope tug or sherpa ball that are their favorites. They are both girls
and enjoy fetching when competing with one another AND alone. The younger
learned from the older. The older was HIGHLY encouraged in this behavior, as
she was a very mouthy puppy and an only dog at the time, and I got up with
her at five in the morning and needed some game that would wear her out and
not me (who was still asleep).  To this day, when we goose them on the rump,
or talk excitedly to them, this girl will go find a toy and offer it to you
to play. Very fun and very acceptable behavoir to me.

There are a few added benefits when doing obedience work or playing game s
like "My dog can do that!" that come from this behavior. I have not seen
many males that are that interested in fetching, but how many Pyrs are
obedience trained at all--meaning I haven't seen that many. CDs are
obtainable without retrieves, but the CDX requires it (or is that the UD/X?).

Best,
Cathryn