[PyrNet-L] Chat,CARE: Neutering, Longevity

MagEBroD responds:
   Everytime I have gotten a dog or cat neutered, I have been nothing but
thrilled with the results, although I'm not sure the animal mirrors my
thoughts.  :)
   In normal, well-behaved animals I notice little difference in energy and
they still play a lot. Animals that are too hyper or run off, after neutering
them they improved dramatically immediately!! Plus I have had neutered cats
live to age 14 (put her down) & a Newf live to 21 years and walked 1.5-3 miles
a day! Other Newf I put down at 15 years. Every animal in our home gets
neutered, even rescues.
   Maybe neutering is why Albert on his many escapes from his pen doesn't
wander off, but merely goes to front porch. (Pen is now 6 feet high, but he
still managed to escape once, by breaking apart the boards in gate!!!)
   Rremember a neighbour's mixed-breed dog was constantly coming on our
property and stealing our & Albert's stuff.  I talked to them & they got him
neutered & he has quit wandering off, even though still loose. He's also
scared to get back in car. ("What will happen next time?!!") Another reason to
neuter early, but certainly not a reason not to neuter if dog is older!!!
   I'd be curious how many dogs that run off have not been neutered & how many
have, and if they see them run off less after neutered.
   Albert was neutered at 8 weeks - recovered easily & was a healthy, active
pup the day I picked him up!! Whatever the age - I encourage everyone to have
their pets  neutered, unless you are a professional breeder of purebreds and
still breeding that particular animal  & they never get loose from you & have
no extracurricular sex life outside of with the specific dog you want them
bred to.  Pounds have lots of animals that are product of two different
breeds. Adopt-A-Pet has two 9 mos. Pyr-Chow crosses & have been there since
litter dropped off at 7 weeks (purebred Chow mother killed by car). They look
exactly like Albert!!
   Why for showing do they prefer intact males? Have never heard reason for
this. Come on guys!!! Get into the right century!!! The breed is famous for
escaping and wandering, so we should encourage neutering every bit as much, if
not MORE than we encourage fencing.

                                :)  &  :)```  (me grinning & Albert grinning &
drooling!)
Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol. com
Shelton, WA.