Re: [PyrNet-L] Lymphosarcoma

On Fri, 29 May 1998, David P Kintsfather Jr wrote:

> Has anyone experienced this disease in a Pyr or other large dog?  I would
> especially like input from anyone who has tried chemotherapy for this
> condition, as the vet said it can be quite effective if the condition is
> caught early.

David,

My OES (old english sheepdog) developed this form of cancer when he was
about 7 years old. I was told by my vet to put him on prednisone and
aspirin.  Some days, he would be fine and other days he would look
miserable and have no appetite.  But eventually, one of his lymph nodes
under his neck had swollen to the size of a cabbage ball, he lost most of
his hair, and had to be force fed (Sorry to be so graphic).  That was the
time when I had to make the difficult decision to euthanize him.

The vet also suggested chemo at the time of diagnosis but I decided not to
go that route in our particular case.  Chemo may be the best choice in
your situation if it is indeed lymphosarcoma or lymphoma.

Good thoughts and prayers are with you and Clondike.

David

"Life is a journey, not a destination."