Re: [PyrNet-L] Question???

chris wrote:
that male Pyrs when around age 3-4 years would/could turned
>mean.  The owner of the Wolfhounds and Dane said he wouldn't ever own a
>Pyr.

Just my personal experience;
Noah's behavior changed at around age 3.   At age 3 he grew more into his
"guarding instinct" and began to challenge my "alpha".  He was/is not
mean--it seems to be more of a male, adolescent type behavior.   Many breeds
do not come into their genetic  instincts until adults.  Noah, the puppy,
never met a stranger.  Noah, the 3 yrs old adult pyr, checked people out
before he decided if he liked them.  He also had time to learn the
environment and realize when I was alone and "needed guarding"  or if a
strange man approached me, watch out.  To a person not familiar with the
guarding instinct, perhaps he interpreted this as "turning mean" .   Also,
I've never had an unneutered male but would assume they would jockey for
"top dog" possesion?
Cheryl R.
PS:  Chris:  where are you located?