Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT: CARE: New Puppies 13!!!!

audrey eischens wrote:

> While my bitch doesn't have all those letters in front of her name, she has
> six equally beautiful puppies: 3 males and 3 females, all marked-could be
> same as Jazz's pups.  I'll bet I won't be asking as fancy a price for mine
> as Jazz's pups will fetch.
>
> Audrey Eischens
> audeisch@wcta.net

Hi Audrey,
Congratulatins on your 6 pups.  I think that prices for Pyr pups vary a
lot depending on the area of the country.   Many very responsible
breeders whose dogs have championships and have been certified clear of
hip dysplasia do not charge outrageous prices for their pups.  It is
possible to purchase an outstanding puppy from a reputable breeder for
less than many pet shops charge.

I don't think that puppy buyers should necessarily associate price with
quality.  Instead, they should make sure that the parents of pups have
been certified clear of hip dysplasia, have been judged by experts to be
of good quality, are healthy and have good temperament and have had good
care.  The puppy buyer should make sure that the breeders are
knowledgeable (have made the effort to learn about the health problems
in their dogs lines) and have a contract which guarantees the health of
those puppies.  The breeder should be someone willing to help the buyer
with their puppy for the lifetime of that puppy - even if that means
taking the puppy back if the owner cannot keep it. The breeder does need
be sdomeone who makes sure that the pups go to a good homes with fenced
yards and to people who will give them the best care and understand that
Pyrs are different, they will roam and they do bark and they do not
always come when called.

Whew, excuse me for rambling on - that's what happens on the first day
of vacation!

Charlotte Perry
Pyreau Great Pyrs
VA