Re: [PyrNet-L] Another Question

Phil & Chris Speakman wrote:

> I'm taking a break from the Shiba list as there has been some very
> heated wars lately and I just got fed up with it - ya know I've never
> known of a flame war going on here???  Okay maybe one heated discussion > but that's it.  Could it be the personalities of dog owners???  Pyrs,
> laid back, calm.  Shibas, "fiery little fuzzballs from hell".
> Hmmmmmm????

Of course all Pyr owners are wonderful, calm, laid back and sweet :) !!

> I figure she's going to confused, maybe lonely and scared.  Her crate
> will be in our bedroom right beside me.  We also have a cat who has
> never ever been in the same room with a dog (thinking I'm in for pet
> hell).  Does the difference in breeds make for different pups in this
> situation - being away from mom and littermates???

You never know.  Some pups are just fine from the beginning, others cry
all night for days.  Let us know what happens.  The cat will probably
stay away from the pup until it decides to make friends.

> Thanks....oh one more question....I'm changing the Shiba character in my
> story from a male to a female (that's the pup we're getting) - should I
> change the Pyr dog to an older male from the original older female.

Usually, a male and female will get along the best. Most Pyrs get along
with smaller dogs, but the small ones are the ones that are feisty and
try to attack a new dog.  My pyrs of both sexes just ignore the small
dogs. Occasionally an older female will growl at an obnoxious small dog
to sort of "put it in it's place".  The boys just ignore the small ones.
We had a little poodle who always attacked pups even though she knew she
would get in trouble.  That same dog would curl up and sleep next to the
big Pyrs.

> I've also decided that the Pyr would be the male lead's dog on the
> property next door to the female lead and Shiba owner.  In reality would
> a female Pyr (roughly 3-4 years old) accept a smaller spitz type
> female.  Would a male accept a female smaller breed?  In all your
> opinions what relationship would you find more believable??

I prefer males because not only are they bigger and more impressive but
also, I think, sweeter and more laid back.  On the other hand, my
husband prefers the females.  Maybe the male lead in your book should
have a female dog.  Of course, I think the female lead should have a
male Pyr....but I guess a female shiba for your male lead would not be
very macho.  Afraid I'm prejudiced, everyone should have Pyrs.

Charlotte (school is out, this is the first day of summer vacation and I
finally have time to get back to e-mail, hooray!)