[PyrNet-L] Re: Chat: pyr that bit

Okay, I'm going to try to get past my initial reaction of a child being
bitten -- especially in the face and give another point to consider.
Before becoming "the neighborhood mom and domestic engineer" I was an
insurance claims adjuster.  Now to get past the emotions I have about this
subject and to get to the legalistics:  You have a big legal problem on your
hands.  Your dog has biten and in some states (it's been a while and haven't
kept up on the laws) the dog MAY be given leniency if this is his first bite
and if he was provoked (a lot of work, research, etc... involving all the
details of the first bite is taken into account)---but you are really going
to be in trouble if the dog bites again.  I'm assuming you've already
contacted your homeowners insurance agent regarding this (as the parents
will want bills paid, etc...).  If you have done so, ask your agent what the
companies ruling is on 2nd dog bites.   Yes, the dog, as a guardian, may
have felt his "people" where is danger and that is why he may have attacked
but if you have children and children visitors this will be an ongoing
problem.  I have children in and out all the time (and some of the younger
ones haven't quite figured out the doorbell concept yet)--so the thought of
any dog doing this to a child concerns me.   The fact that the dog's first
reaction was to attack/bite also concerns me.  When we recently heard of the
burglars who broke into a fellow pyr list members home and were restrained
by the prys, she stated they simply had the guys up against the wall and
barking.  With the attitude problems Noah has, he has never hurt a child.
If someone is a threat to him and surprises him he will growl, lunge, snap
BUT NOT bite.  What worries me is that the pyr was not able to judge the
situation correctly and determine what "level" (for lack of a better word)
of guarding/protection was needed.
I'm not a breeder and I don't have a lot of experience (other than Noah)
with pyrs but those are my concerns.
Cheryl R.

PS:  I think this should be moved into a category other than "Chat" as it
really deals with a serious behavior issue.