Re: Fwd: [PyrNet-L] Re: Chat:Behavior, pyr that bit

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:56:50 -0400, Kim Collins wrote:

>"his opinion is that he is a very loving and gentle dog to date." Except
>for the huge gash in the eight year old's face?  I find it difficult to
>believe that a vet would give such an answer.  We aren't talking a nip guys
>we are talking 80 (eighty) stitches in the face of an eight year old girl.
>She is disfigured for life and we are talking of trainers who are out of
>town?

There are so many vets that are wonderful when it comes to medical
procedures and diagnosing illnesses. But they don't teach behavior in
vet school. That's what my boss (a vet) used to tell us all the time.
They know more than the average owner when it comes to behavioral
problems just from being around a lot of dogs, but unless they've had
special training they aren't behavioral experts. And keep in mind
they're carrying their own opinions and experiences around with them,
too. If you want to know how "well-tempered" a dog is, ask the people
who *work in the vet clinic. The ones who walk, bathe, feed and clean
up after the dog.
Mitzi Potter    OKC OK
Pyrs-R-Us@popline.com
http://www.popline.com/quinnz/mit.html