Re: [PyrNet-L] Biting Pyr

Pbpyr@aol.com wrote:

> Sorry, this was not an accident or a nip; this was an attack.  Any dog of any
> breed that attacks a child causing enough damage to warrant 80 stitches and
> then connects again should be euthanized.
>
> Nancy Sandoval
> pbpyr@aol.com

Amen.  I normally lurk, but I feel I must add my voice, however sorrowful it is
to recommend euthanasia for any dog.  There have been many excellent posts on
this situation, probably mine is just a repeat, but here goes:

Whether or not a LGD temperament did or did not feed into this situation, this
dog is living in an urban environment, there are children in the neighborhood and
in the house, and the dog did major damage without warning first (which I agree
would be more typical of the breed, or at least what I would hope to see.)  Yes,
granted, from the dog's point of view there were some triggers that would feed
into the dog's guardian instincts.  But there was very little if any bite
inhibition displayed, which concerns me.  And while the attack "came out of the
blue", so to speak, so often when I have had calls about similar situations, the
behavior usually turned out to be not all that sudden, the little warning signs
were there, as we discussed the dog's history in the past.  But no matter whether
"out of the blue", predictable, whatever.  What the owner then has to ask herself
is, "Can I honestly undertake the responsibility of ensuring that 24 hours a day,
for the rest of the dog's life, I can 100% guarantee that I can control this dog
so that no child, no person, in my family or outside my family, is ever
endangered in any way by this dog again?"  And if the answer is no.......for the
sake of the dog, for the sake of society, for the sake of the breed.....you put
the dog down.  I do not necessarily disagree with the concept of having the dog
evaluated by a good trainer.  I have often suggested just such a course to help
the owner make an informed decision.  Putting a beloved dog down is not an easy
thing, no matter the time or the place.   But sometimes it is necessary.  If the
attack had been limited to a nip or mouthing, I would still be concerned, but
feel more hopeful about the possibility of being able to train, retrain, control
the future.  But 80 stitches......

Jane Gill
janegill@fast.net