Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT: Pyr that bit

> >The dog did not persue.  This was not a mindless irrational response.
> >This dog was doing what it was bred to do.
>
> I hate to disagree with anyone, but this one point should probably be
> discussed before people get the wrong idea. Pyrs are bred to "guard"
> but not to attack. I know, I've heard several people say they don't
> *want non-aggressive Pyrs, but I'd have to disagree with them also.

This is true, but, because we probably don't know the full story - this
Pyr probably gave all the normal warnings a Pyr would give before it
bit. There is a difference between aggressive and protective. A
protective Pyr will allow people in the house when let in by the ADULT
people in the house and behave itself. Mine have been known to give the
low growl at strangers I have let in and I KNOW to get the dog out of
there and give them the bums rush. An aggressive Pyr on the other hand
is a loaded gun and does not have the sense to know the difference
between intruder and friend. Joe, help me out, you explained the
difference much better than I a few months ago.

Lisa