Re: [PyrNet-L] Girl that was bit

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:01:20 -0400, Schonberg Farms wrote:

>You are one of the lucky ones then, I know too many male pyrs that do
>not like children and NO they did not come from Bad breeders, or Bad
>parents.  They are from some of the top breeders in the country.  These
>males just don't tolerate children of any age.  My bitch and others that
>I've seen, think children are wonderful.  When I'm at a show with one of
>my boys and a child comes up to me, I am always well aware of what my
>dog is doing.  The look in my dog's eyes are always "get me away from
>this kid".
>Some people say that its different when a male pyr is raised with small
>children, that the males tend to bond more than a female would.  But
>then again look what happens, a child gets bit.

I'm a bit surprised that you think this! I had 6 dogs who hadn't been
raised anywhere around kids when I had my son. They didn't know a kid
from a hairball. 3 Of them were males. It sounds like you've had some
bad experiences with males, but that is NOT the norm. The Pyr male I
got when my son was 12 mo has been the most loving and patient dog.
Even as a puppy he'd just lay there (not budge!) no matter how much
my son poked and prodded and crawled all over him. This was as a pup!
Like someone else said-good temperment is good temperment, period. I
don't care if they come from the best Pyr kennel in the world-if you
can't trust their males around kids, they don't have stable
temperments. I don't believe you can "turn" a well-tempered & stable
dog mean.
Mitzi Potter    OKC OK
Pyrs-R-Us@popline.com
http://www.popline.com/quinnz/mit.html