[PyrNet-L] Re: Biiting

I had an Old English Sheepdog that was with me before marriage, children,
etc. whom I loved as much as you can love a pet.  When my first child began
to crawl, the dog was getting on in age.  My son crawled up to the dog as
she was lying in a corner and she snapped at his head, made contact, and he
required stitches.  I knew this was reaction not an attack and promised
myself that with my supervision it would not happen again.  Things were okay
for awhile but happened again with my second son - same circumstances. I
immediately had my beloved pet euthanized.  It was the hardest thing I have
ever done, to have a perfectly healthy dog destroyed.  I knew I had no
choice.  I know she wasn't aggressive or attacking, simply reacting, but
there could be no distinction.  Even now, 15+ years later, I still feel the
pain.  I have had two sheepdogs since and could never relax when they were
around others.  I'm not sure if my feelings might not have ruubbed off on
them and made them a little more skittish around strangers.  Now I have
Eliza who has shown no aggressive behavior and has that wonderful Pyr
characteristic of loving small children.  I am socializing her as much as
possible and appreciating what I observe.  I still don't think I would ever
trust any dog 100% with small children, especially.  Maybe Eliza will help
me get over my fears.