Re: [PyrNet-L] Lymphosarcoma Update/Clondike

We had a pretty upbeat visit at the oncologist's today (well, as upbeat
as ANY visit to an oncologist can be).  She took another bone marrow
sample and said it was clear.  X-rays showed a slightly enlarged spleen,
but all other organs are normal and she said the spleen enlargement is
normal with this disease, and will go down as the lymph nodes go down.

The elevated creatinine did not bother her as long as we stay with Kidney
Diet, and as she was saying the heart function looked good, Clondike's
cardiologist walked in, so she asked if we'd feel better with another
ultrasound.  Nervous daddy opted to be safe, and the cardiologist (who
got a BIG Pyr greeting when he came in) said it was the best ultrasound
we've done.

So, basically the prognosis is a little better than I'd thought.  The
oncologist uses a rather unusual 9 week protocol involving 4 drugs used
one at a time in succeeding weeks (modified VCAA).  She says this gives
80% remissions with less side effects than mixing the drugs in a single
application.

Then after a 3 week rest, she uses a special monoclonal antibody
preparation that she developed and tested at U Penn.  As I understand the
theory, it stimulates the body to fight the cancer cells itself, and I
hope this may be more synergistic with the holistic approach which we
want to follow to help to extend the remission.  We meet with the
holistic vet in 2 weeks and I've already sent her a copy of the protocol
and a lot of other information.

So we started the chemo today and the oncologist says the nodes should
start shrinking in about 3 days.  She also says Clondike will start
acting like a puppy (I hope she's exagerating--I'm too old to go through
that again).  The lady I talked to who had a Golden treated by this
oncologist said the 10-year old acted about 4 during the treatment.

The total cost of the treatment is estimated at about $1500, which may
sound like a lot, but from what I'd read I'd expected 3-4 thousand.  We
spent over $3000 just on normal vet bills last year, so this was a
pleasant surprise.

The oncologist said Clondike can do anything she feels up to and we are
NOT to try to restrict her activities, and she specifically said the Fun
Day would be fine as long as we keep her in the shade (which we would do
anyway).

So, that's the story for now.  Clondike is a little stiff from the bone
marrow test and sleepy, but then none of us got enough sleep last night.

I'll keep you posted,

David

 David Kintsfather              | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Dept. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | INTERNET:    kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     |   "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |                Francis David