Re: [PyrNet-L] dewclaws

adyment wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I asked a long time Pyr breeder about dewclaw removal, She informed me that
> the dewclaws are actually a part of the foot and to remove them can cause
> serious problems. She cancels her health guarantee on the pup if the
> dewclaws are removed. She tells me the dewclaws are very similar to that of
> our thumbs.
> With the removal of the dewclaws it changes the positation of the foot from
> toed out to a more straight position which can cause wear on the hips and
> lead to H.D. I would think with 35 years in the breed she knows what she's
> talking about. I would never consider removing them.

While I would *never* remove my dog's dewclaws...no more then I would
cur off my own little toes <g>..
HD is NOT caused by dewclaw removel and any one who has been breeding
that long should have enough common sense to know that.
HD is a GENETIC disease that can be exacerbated by certian activities,
obesity, even poor nutrition, but these things, no dew claw removal, is
EVER the CAUSE.
	Sorry for the caps but it *really* frustrates me that so many
people thrive on the "urban ledgends" when it comes to diseases like
these....All too *often* the people who say things like this do it
becasue they themselves don't x-ray or they have an unusual high rate of
CHD in their lines so they want some sort of "excuse" to fall back on...

So how is HD caused??? It is based on multiple gene factors and you
cannot prevent it, predict it or breed it out...all you can do to assure
that you produce as little of it as possible is to breed the better
average of normal hips to normal hips only...the end.. ;).
	As for dew claws...
	There are a myrid of reason not to cut off a pyr's
dewclaws...all of them really just *prefence*.  But I would no more cut
off the dew claws on my pyr then I would dock its ears or tail...its not
how the breed is supposed to be.  If a person doesn't like the double
dewclaws then don't get a pyr...get a kuvaz....That way you don't have
to pay extra to *carve* your dream dog.. ;)  <g>....or better yet, how
about a  boxer..everthing is cut short on those.. ;)

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA

"Oh, to be loved by a dog!"