[PyrNet-L] Independence Day

Hi all

Remind me to not try a Fourth of July parade again next year with my Pyr.

Rodman and my daughter, Amanda, looked quite good all dressed up in red,
white & blue  (Rodman only needed the red & blue).  However, there were
many factors I hadn't considered.

Near the parade start, there were several little children shooting off the
little firecrackers.  Well -- that's scares Rodman to death, and we like to
never got him calmed down and started down the route.  I ended up having to
walk alongside my daughter & Pyr, even though it was the "kids" part of the
parade, in order to keep him in control.  Then they had fire trucks and
police cars behind us (blowing horns & sirens) and all types of loud ATV's,
etc. etc, and you get the picture.  I felt so sorry for my dog by the end
of the parade (even if they did get "best animal" for the children's
division.)
I had worried earlier about having him walk on the hot pavement.  He seemed
to do alright, but I wished I had some little booties or something to
protect his paws.

Live and learn.  It was fun, but for my dogs sake -- I think to show I
really love him I will leave him home next year!

I did enjoy all the favorable comments we got; allowed lots of little kids
to pet him; and had many people ask about him (should have just made a sign
for him to wear that would say "I am a Great Pyrenees").   I hope to have
photos of us in the parade up on our web page as soon as I can after I get
them developed.  I'm sure some will show him just cowering as he walked.
Poor boy!

Tracy
pribb@feist.com        Bentley, Kansas
http://www.feist.com/~pribb