Re: [PyrNet-L] Independence Day

In a message dated 98-07-04 19:44:39 EDT, Tracey wrote:

<< Near the parade start, there were several little children shooting off the
 little firecrackers.  Well -- that's scares Rodman to death, and we like to
 never got him calmed down and started down the route.  I ended up having to
 walk alongside my daughter & Pyr, even though it was the "kids" part of the
 parade, in order to keep him in control.  Then they had fire trucks and
 police cars behind us (blowing horns & sirens) and all types of loud ATV's,
 etc. etc, and you get the picture.  >>

Tracey,
   May try sitting out a few, particpipant-wise, and having Rodman sit by you
and watch parades with you to desensitize him to the noises and strange
activity.
   Took Albert to a parade and he hated the drums in the marching bands!!!
Totally freaked when they came by. He got better with each band that passed,
though. He also wanted to go to the horses in the parade and had to really
hold him back. The sirens, horns and such never bothered him at all. (Go
figure!) He also was very confused by the clowns and the person in the bear
costume!!
   And then there was his mother's owner coming by and him having to slime her
nearly to death!! He always remembers Becky & loves to see her!
   Then there was his sister Heidi coming by to visit and them wrestling like
crazy as they always do and getting all tangled up in their leashes!! What a
sight!! Great fun, though!
   Think I'd do at least one more parade before considering ever having him in
one.
We'll see....
   Desensitizing does really help, though, usually. Good Luck!

Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol.com
Shelton, WA.