[PyrNet-L] heidi in reform, oops, make that preschool

Well, last evening our little girl, Heidi, had pre-school.  I should have been prepared for the fiasco that ensued but I wasn't.....it was raining to beat the band from early a.m. & consequently Heidi had very little exercise so she was pretty keyed up.....excuses thus given, I'll get on with it.

For starters, she barked & barked (I told her she was too young to be a critic) & would not be quiet for more than a few minutes.  She refused to look at me & even when I turned her face to mine, she would not make eye contact ( I finally tried treats to no avail).  Sitting was sporadic, & forget coming when called. I had to drag her by her leash all but one time.  Of course, she did make eye contact with Sherry (the trainer) & did come when Sherry called her, the little fiend.  Sherry is very kind & blamed her behavior (or lack of it) on the inclement weather.  I think Heidi just wanteed me to know who is really the boss.  This evening we practiced her lessons & she did each one perfectly (without witnesses you will note).

We will be practicing a whole lot this week & making sure she is well exercised before our next class.  I can take a hint.

I asked Sherry about nipping/biting & her response was the same as one already given at this web site.  Hold the dog's lips between the teeth until they start to back up.  Do this every time without fail.  Also, do NOT engage in rough play until you have your dog completely under control.  She demonstrated this with Laddie (who is a Collie, not a Border Collie - I misprinted his breed in an earlier missive).  She permitted him to "rough play" with her & when he was pretty engrossed in playing and pretend biting, she said "Laddie, settle" & he immediately (no hesitation) backed off & planted all four feet & was quite still with his total attention on her.  It was a remarkable sight even tho'  I've seen it a few times in competition.

Wish us luck next week - we need it!!!

Kathy, Joe, Chewbear(Sammy) and Heidi(pyr)
Wish you well.. Woof, Woof