[PyrNet-L] CHAT: Janice & Albert (was Janet and Albert)

<< Too bad about not having an inside crate- it couldn't be put in the living
 room area as a sort of functional coffee table?

   Our house is in quite a state, as we have been working on a couple
additions for what seems like forever (always take twice as much $ & three
times as much time as you plan it seems!).......as a result we had not been
getting rid of any furniture and adding more as we find good deals, so we'd
have furniture for additions. These were mostly B.A. purchases (Before
Albert). So we have wall-to-wall furniture now! Plus I often get stuck storing
furniture & props and costumes for plays I'm involved in, too. The theatre co.
had a horrible time with things in their storage container (semi-type) getting
moldy and mice infested, so I refuse to put anything nice in there anymore.)
One addition under constrruction is for us & one is for theatre & costume
design workshop/storage. The new armoire is for costume storage and was needed
deperately. Someday I hope after additions are done, to have room for a crate.
Or maybe by then he will have outgrown his puppyhood pranks!! I realize crates
are wonderful and can be very useful and save a lot of heartache and hassles.
But they are HUGE and bulky - much easier to step over a pyr than a crate! We
haven't needed one for travel, as we have a van and I rigged it so there is a
divider between back compartment and backseat. We are sacrificing enough just
having him in the house most of the time lately during shedding time, with a
lot of us suffering from allergies and 2 having asthma. I refuse to have him
sleep in our rooms at night as we really need to be able to get a good night's
sleep and be able to breathe freely at night. He'll have to learn to behave
and we'll have to get better at keeping things secure as possible so that he
can't get into as much. Everyone with pups deals with some chewing problems.
It goes with the territory. Vets see this with pups all the time! First words
out of vet's mouth were what did he eat ?  Besides, knowing Albert he'll
probably destroy or escape from a crate when we do get one!! He's such an
escape artist! And I have read so many posts on the lists and various message
boards about Pyrs escaping crates!! So there's no guarantee that it would hold
him anyway. I don't want to seem like I'm not concerned about him. I am -
that's why I started bringing him in the house at night: so gnats and
mosquitos wouldn't keep biting him. We all have to find our own way & what
works for some may not always be the answer for all. We are trying to learn
from our & his mistakes and make things as safe as possible for him and our
belongings as possible and workable for all of us.

Janice Vocke