Re: [PyrNet-L] New puppy

> Today, the puppy nipped my 10 year old in the face leaving marks where
she
> broke the skin under his lip. What am I going to do? I have been trying
> different things with her nipping, as she has been drawing blood. We all
> thought she was catching on. We do the OUCH, yell NO, have tried holding
her
> muzzle (makes her more aggressive), I even put Bitter Apple on my hands.

When you hold the pup by the muzzle and she gets more aggressive, do you
let go?  If so, you might be sending her the message that she *can* be the
boss (she's getting away with it, basically).  Don't let her win *any*
episode of bad behavior, or you may be increasing her confident alpha
status!   Maybe if you could get a hold of the sides of her neck right up
by the head, and hold her, yell NO at her, and stare her down, holding her
as still as possible the whole time, until she stops fighting and becomes
still.  Do not let go until she has become very still.  Then *you* won the
episode.  You decide when to let her go.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think holding by the ruff (the
mane, or neck, high up next to the head though) might be safer (for the
pup) than holding by the muzzle?  Since teething and breathing take place
through the muzzle, perhaps it might hurt the pup if held too tightly by
the muzzle, or for too long?  But if held by the ruff, you could get a
strong hold without too much pressure on anything but skin.  But then
again, is the pup trying to bite while being corrected?  Just some
thoughts.

At any rate, keep her separated from the children until you decide what
action you are going to take.  It seems to me that children can play too
rough, and pups don't understand that biting & chewing is not play with
humans, and children don't understand what message they are sending the
pup.  I wonder if being separated from her mama at too early of an age
precipitated her aggressive/dominant behavior?  No mama to teach her *no*!

Good luck!  And keep us updated!

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com
Oregon