Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.19980722

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:24:03 -0400, Carol Brescher Boyle wrote:

>Yes you have a right to an opinion. But your opinion was offered
>to someone looking for assistance in dealing with a 10 week old
>puppy with a discipline problem. This person wanted help.
>There were some excellent, carefully thought out posts about
>dealing with the problems with this puppy. Yours was not among them.

<sigh> I didn't tell her to put the puppy down. I offered other
suggestions. At the end, I said that IF IT WERE ME I would put her
down. Now-that's assuming she were truly aggressive and not just
"puppy dominance". My post is copied below. I think you've read other
recent posts and assumed I jumped in and told her to put the puppy to
sleep-not true. Now-tell me where did I TELL her to put the dog
down..........???

-----My original post to her----
If a young puppy like that has been growling, biting and drawing
blood, she's aggressive. I'll go so far as to tell you to cut your
losses and take her back to the breeder and let her deal with it. How
can you love and form a bond with a dog that hurts you and your kids?
It'd be hard. Otherwise you run the (probable) risk of her getting
older and bigger and taking out a huge chunk of one of your kids'
faces.
That's what I think. You'll get lots of opinions and you're the one
who has to live with the consequences either way. This may sound
harsh to some people but I'd put her to sleep if it were me. A 100 lb
aggressive dog is a danger to your precious kids. You have to protect
them 1st, even though they may not see it that way right now. Like I
said-you'll hear lots of opinions, mine is only one.
  Mitzi Potter   OKC  OK
  Pyrs-R-Us@popline.com
  http://www.popline.com/quinnz/dogs.htm