Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: more puppy problems

Ken, if you can't tell the difference between aggressive and dominant
then you fortuanately have never dealt with an aggressive dog. Count
your blessings. If you'd ever seen one or dealt with one, believe me
you wouldn't have to ask. Your puppy sounds like a typical sweet
natured puppy. She doesn't even sound like she's got much of a
dominant personality or she wouldn't calm down easily when put on a
leash, she'd likely object to it.
True aggression is snarling, lunging, striking out and biting a
human. And even when corrected, even properly, for this behavior
these dogs get madder and more frenzied, fighting it the whole way
and continuing their snarling and biting. That's aggression (to me).
Under those same circumstances a dominant puppy would give in and
allow themselves to be subdued, they may not like it, but they're not
idiots and they know what's best for them. These kinds of dogs
handled properly are wonderful pets. Some people like this
personality because it's fun loving and outgoing. Most dominant dogs
have the kind of intelligence that really shows. Then there's the
type that I prefer, the submissive, easy going, tolerant dog. Chances
are they're not going to engage in typical puppy nipping or jumping
up on you at all, so there's no correction that needs to be made. The
more of this kind of behavior my dogs (as pups & adults) exhibit, the
more I encourage and praise it. They're just very laid back and watch
things go by instead of jumping in to check it out right away. My
Pyrs have tons of personality, it's just not right smack in your face
all the time. I can take them somewhere and not worry about them
straining towards another dog or person, very soft-natured, you tell
them "noooo" in just a whisper and they immediantly obey. Most dogs
(my Goldens included) need more of a verbal or physical (as in
pulling on the leash) correction.
Your dog sounds perfectly normal as far as how most puppies act. I
could easily *handle and live with that sort of dog. I just,
personally, prefer the gentler easier type of personality, especially
in a giant breed. And especially given the fact that I've got 8 dogs
who *have to live peacefully together. I couldn't have this many dogs
living together if I chose the "typical" puppy. Does that make any
sense whatsoever? <g>.
  Mitzi Potter   OKC  OK
  Pyrs-R-Us@popline.com
  http://www.popline.com/quinnz/dogs.htm