Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: more puppy problems

Hi Ken,

I think Carol's recent post was quite sound. Your pup sounds like a pup! And
I'm glad you and your family are enjoying being with her. Most important,
you all sound as if you are comfortable and feel in control of the
situation- her nipping isn't out of hand (you're not scared, worried, etc.
when she's in public or at home with your kids, etc.).

My take on aggression vs. dominance- is that aggression usually comes as a
violent response to some perceived threat. There are various signals in a
dog's posture, growls, etc. that cue a person/other dog/etc. to a possible
attack. Dominance relates to the perception that they (said dog) rank as
alpha or higher than the person (they're showing dominant behavior to) in
the household. So, if person X comes along and asks that they move out of a
particular spot/give up a toy/etc., and they do not perceive that person as
being of a higher rank, they may growl, refuse to comply, etc.

This is why some dogs will obey adults but not children unless taught to do
so- or are less dominant. There are various good and effective techniques
for dealing with dominant behavior- e.g. Alpha Boot Camp among others- but
this requires even more firmness, consistency, and daily work (which is
something that not all owners want to do or feel comfortable doing) than
living with dogs who are more submissive or needful of human praise, etc. As
for aggression, one has to be able to pinpoint the objects/triggers of the
aggression (dog-aggressive? baby-aggressive? and so forth)- and then go from
there to a balanced evaluation of how this dog will fit into that or any
other household, and then society. Not all cases are euthanasia cases- but
some are.

We can't believe everything on this list. Some beliefs are just not mutually
sustainable. But given the wealth of experience and the reasoning that
people provide, we can hopefully form better-educated opinions. I do think,
however, that one of the things that binds a lot of us on this list- is a
particular love for the personalities of our pyrs and what makes them as
individuals, unique.

At the end of the day, you hopefully should be able to trust in your own
judgement. Your pyr sounds very normal to me- based on your description.
I've found a lot of dogs tend to feed off our own calmness, mellowness, etc.
but that doesn't exempt us from firm or consistent guidance in their
teaching.

Christina

P.S. BTW, Mukki (5.5 months) shared in common a lot of the problems recently
described (except none of his nips have ever broken skin). The few times (2,
I think) he growled, I growled louder. Haven't heard him growl again. Even
when I've had to restrain him recently to do ear washes. He's always very
careful to let me know afterward he loves me and is not holding a grudge.
He's not hugely dominant but for a short period of time in which he was
developing and exhibiting dominant behavior in a way that was more out of
control and threatening to my partner, we had a quick session of Alpha Boot
Camp. That really nipped the majority of our problems- though the rest were
dealt with  by common-sense. I did wear old jeans a lot (other clothing
sported too many holes!). And cut out any yelling. Also pointed out to my
partner that any negative physicality (like thrusting away, shaking of the
scruff, etc.) tended to result in an even worse attitude or escalate the
problem. Any physical restraint I do- is done, as others have spoken of,
gently but firmly. Mukki's released when I decide- and not a minute before.
Obedience classes help too. So does playing and socializing off-leash with
other dogs. Exposure to people and different situations.

Now we're going through the "humping" stage- although he will be neutered
soon. Whenever he starts, I do one of two things (both of which are
incredibly silly to observe). Either we start waltzing together as I will
take his paws and dance him backward or forward until he tires. Or I quickly
reverse positions on him and end up "mounting" him. I then do a quick
"giddy-up" and ride (we're not actually moving anywhere and I'm not placing
any weight on him)- it's all pretend- but effective. He's very sweet and
friendly- though as he grows, he's not going up to people and soliciting
affection as much as he used to unless he knows them. He's starting to
ignore the rest on our hikes. But he's very interested in other dogs- and
still very friendly toward all. I'm also getting better at reading his
moods- happy, sad, thoughtful, curious, bored, excited, etc. If you know
your dog, and it sounds like you do, I don't think you have much to worry
about. There are generally warning signals and behavior that is of concern
or noticeable discomfort (for the owners) with aggressive dogs. The fact
that you're concerned means you're less likely to be unobservant when it
comes to knowing and understanding your dog, and taking action when there's
a legitimate problem. Best wishes.