[PyrNet-L] that darn settle stuff

Hi deanna,  It's kathy again.  I'm just going to give my thoughts on the subject of Settle....not being critical of your trainer by any means.

I have a tough time with using aggression to settle a puppy.  When we go to class, after Heidi has had a chance to greet her peers & check out her environment (we usually get there 15 min early so she has time for this), I sit in a chair & get her to sit either beside me or in front of me.  I then immediately start to rub her chest & praise her for sitting pretty.  If she is still feeling her oats, I place my leg across her body while still rubbing her chest.  Usually this works.  Sherry is of a mind that the socialization of the puppies is every bit as important as learning the commands.  A dog who is not socialized is more likely to be fearful & that translates into aggressive-type behavior.  So if Heidi or one of her friends gets up in the middle of class to get a sniff/kiss it's okay.  We give them 30 seconds or so & then reel them back in.  Barking is another matter.  That is discouraged, usually with a little spray of water in the face (from the spray bottles we all carry (along with treats & in Heidi's case, towels for drooling).

This is just my input on the subject.  I suspect that many types of training still lead to the same end result.

I did have to smile about you buying a van "for the dog".  I was always one to keep my car very clean & cannot abide dirty windows.  Now I carry parts of the dogs around all the time (dog hair) & my windows are never clean.  The dogs find it necessary to slime them every time they get in the van.  It's amazing what you learn to live with when someone steals your heart.

One final note, be prepared for Lucy to backslide on occasion.  All dogs do & it's not a reflection on you.  They just forget now & again.

Kathy, Joe, Chewbear(Sammy) and Heidi(pyr)
Wish you well.. Woof, Woof