[PyrNet-L] Oscar in training

Hi Rose, Just had to put in my two cents worth here.  No, it's definitely NOT TOO LATE to get some training under Oscar's belt, er, make that collar.   Besides our 6 mo. old Pyr, we have a male Samoyed (very similar traits except smaller....66 lbs).  He is 1 1/2 yrs. old & is going to start school next month.  He too, jumps on people by way of greeting & does not walk on leash (we play tug-of-war, not by our choice).  You might want to consider taking your 8 yr old to the class also.  Oscar probably doesn't consider them as being very high on the pecking order & teaching the 8 yr old to be able to give a few commands to Oscar is important.

Until you can get him to school, maybe you can try lowering your voice, standing very tall & speaking to him in a really stern manner when giving the "come" command.

Sounds like Oscar is a fun-loving exuberant doggie who just needs some proper training, like Chewbear.  Good luck & keep us posted.  Even tho' Chewbear is not a Pyr, I'll still babble here from time to time since I'm hoping to bring home the training & use it on Heidi, too.

Kathy, Joe, Chewbear(Sammy) and Heidi(pyr)
Wish you well.. Woof, Woof