[PyrNet-L] Beau and Gus

Hello All:

Some of you may remember my posts a few months ago concerning seizures in
Pyrs (our boy Beau had been having them).  While our vet did everything
humanly possible to try to control the seizures, our efforts were in vain.
Beau managed to come home for awhile, and for an entire month had no more
seizures, then about two months ago they came back with a vengence.

Our vet, who is very well respected and knowledgable (people come from as
far away as Colorado Springs to have him treat their animals) was unable to
do anything for Beau.  Doc said that the "seizures" were actually more like
strokes, and he was having them at a rate of approximately one every 30
minutes (they were of Grand Mal variety).  Beau's last few days were
characterized by unconciousness (almost all the time) and extreme lethargy
(the few times he was somewhat concious) and his quality of life was
non-existent.  Since we had no background on Beau (he was the progeny of
two dogs found on the road in Dallas) we were unable to determine what the
problem was or if it perhaps was genetically based.  We did hear that one
of his possible littermates (another male) had to be euthanized with
exactly the same symptoms about a week after Beau. Our beloved Beau was put
to sleep about a month ago.

Since Beau was our first Pyr, he wormed his way deeply into our hearts, and
we have grown to love the breed.  We deeply missed his antics, his
personality, and the love he showered on all of the family.  So....two
weeks ago we welcomed Gus (11 weeks at that time)from a breeder in Oregon.
He has a fine pedigree (we have his bloodline back 5 generations) and he
has helped fill the void in the family left by the passing of Beau.  He is
a wonderful addition, playful, loving, and a downright scamp!  A fitting
personality in our household for the inheritor of Beau's job of
companionship and love.

Thanks to all of you who wrote and offered advice and prayers for Beau.  We
will see him again.  And he will always be part of our family.

Terry, Marilyn, Gus, and the memory of Beau
Conifer, Colorado