Re: [PyrNet-L] Beau and Gus

<< Doc said that the "seizures" were actually more like
 strokes, and he was having them at a rate of approximately one every 30
 minutes (they were of Grand Mal variety).  Beau's last few days were
 characterized by unconciousness (almost all the time) and extreme lethargy
 (the few times he was somewhat concious) and his quality of life was
 non-existent.  Since we had no background on Beau (he was the progeny of
 two dogs found on the road in Dallas) we were unable to determine what the
 problem was or if it perhaps was genetically based.  We did hear that one
 of his possible littermates (another male) had to be euthanized with
 exactly the same symptoms about a week after Beau. Our beloved Beau was put
 to sleep about a month ago. >>

We are all saddended to hear about your dog.  Your story is "Why" not to breed
any dog that has seizures.  There are those out there that are breeding dogs
of any breed that have had seizures their entire life.  Some are controlling
the seizures with medication, but their puppies and grand puppies, and great,
grand puppies, etc. etc, etc, are carrying on the seizure activity.  Amazing
how people can tell themselves that seizres may not be hereditary (true), but
it might as well.  Didn't they get a clue when the kids and grandkids started
seizureing?  Of course not all puppy owners knew mom was on medication, still
don't.
Know your breeder and check them out carefully.

I hope life moves on for you with the new addition of a healthly happy  pyr.
Congratulations to you and Gus.

Joe