Re: [PyrNet-L] Worry-wort

Deanna, so much of that is "puppy". Puppies are so floppy and
uncoordinated and their cartilage is still so soft. When my 6 yr old
Golden was 17 wks his back end was so weak he couldn't support himself
when he jumped off the couch (NOT with my "permission"). He'd fall
over. My vet was easily able to manipulate his hips on exam and feel
them pop in and out of the (non-exsistant) sockets. He had hip surgery
around 6 months or so and you'd never know it. He'll most certainly
live out his entire normal life. When he dies, it's not going to be
hip related :-) My 8 yr old Golden showed no clinical signs
whatsoever, she ran and jumped perfectly. We x-rayed her at 6 mo when
she was spayed and her hips were shot also. We could've waited to see
how she was going to do but we opted for hip surgery. They were in
pretty bad shape and the chances of her being able to live out her
life pain free were slim to none. But she'll be 8 in a few months and
she still runs and leaps all over the yard. I'm only telling you this
to let you know that hip dysplasia isn't the death sentence it used to
be many years ago.
 As far as your pup-I don't think she's showing any signs any
different than any other 15 wk old pup. 15 wks is just way too soon to
tell. It seems the early signs usually show up in the 40-45 lb range
for some reason (my observations, not to be taken for fact). If it
makes you feel better, I've raised 3 of my 4 Pyrs from puppies and
they didn't jump up on the furniture or bed at all. They were just
laid back enough that they didn't do it. Same with jumping up on
people, they just never did it. My Newfie puppy on the other
hand..........<g>.
Have your vet manipulate his hips joints, but it's doubtful he's going
to be able to feel anything. You can have an x-ray done at 5-6 months
that's pretty indicative of hip status (before anyone tears that
sentence apart-I know it's not 100% :-/ but it's close enough to make
it worth it if you're worried).
Let us know, ok?

From: Murden, Deanna <Deanna.Murden@wl.com>

>Something dawned on me yesterday that has really got my mind
wandering,
>I was wondering if anyone could put me at a little ease.
>My 15 wk old pyr does not jump up.  She is of good size now (almost
>25lbs) but still won't go up stairs or jump into the car.  When she
>runs, her rear legs go two by two to the right side.  I always
thought
>this was pretty cute, with her "thumbs" and all. She trots along just
>fine on walks alternating rear legs, and chases the cats just
>fine....but she "bounds" rather than runs.
>She does not jump on furniture or onto the bed (not that we wnat her
>to!!!), though she will stand on her rear legs with her front paws on
>the couch/bed. But waits for you to "help" her with the rear. She
does
>this for the car also, will go to the back seat door, put her front
legs
>up, and wait.  I think you know what I'm thinking at this
point.....what