[PyrNet-L] Intro and question

Hi All,

I'm writing for a friend who having trouble with her 9 mo. old GWP.  I
figured y'all were the ones to ask, so here goes.  Kita is a rescue.  She's
now living on my friend's farm with her older Belgian Shepherd and young
Collie (?? 2 yrs old)
Kita came with lots of baggage when my friend got her.  She had allegedly
been abused and kept in a horse stall for the first part of her life and
had little socialization and had never been in a house.  She also had no
obedience training.  She's got a pretty good life now, and has made amazing
strides in her general obedience.  The main problem is her destructive
chewing when left alone. (Lack of appropriate chew toys is not an
issue--they've got plenty, but Kita is destroying the couch, though, which
is not what my friend wants) I've read books which give advice for
seperation anxiety type chewing which suggest leaving for progressively
longer periods of time until the dog is comfortable with being left.  This
is not an option, though.  My friend and her husband both work and the dog
does have to remain alone with the other two dogs for the day.  Crating
isn't really feasable because of the long hours.

What suggestions do you have for destructive chewing that only happens when
people are gone?  Especially when confinement is not really an option and
my friend doesn't want an outside-only dog?  The other problem is that she
doesn't want her other two dogs penalized for Kita's chewing-- such as
setting "booby traps" on the inappropriate objects -- her other two dogs
have had full run of the house and are fine with being alone.

Please respond directly to me unless others want this info, too.

Thanks for your help!

Deanna