RE: [PyrNet-L] temperment tests

Sharon,

Our deaf Pyr, Sam, passed his temperament test last summer.  The thing to
realize is that the test doesn't compare dog to dog, it compares your dog to
a sort of "ideal Pyr temperament", as understood by the people administering
the test.  Realize that these people really can't know the temperament of
every breed, and although there may be written descriptions of expected
reactions, interpretation will vary between people (note that this sounds a
WHOLE lot like conformation judging).  We hadn't said anything about the
deafness, so the testers were scratching their heads trying to figure out
some of his reactions.  When someone who knew Sam mentioned that he was
deaf, the light went on and things made some sense to them, and he passed.

Our other Pyr, Blossom, failed.  She wouldn't touch the umbrella.
Apparently these people wanted the dog to touch the umbrella from the
startle test.  Blossom wouldn't - she'd been told off at home within the
previous work for trying to run off with an umbrella belonging to one of our
daughters.  So it is possible to train your dog to pass or fail the test.
Does it mean that Blossom is less "Pyr-like" than Sam?  Nope -- she's the
one that runs the fences, and goes more into "guardian mode" when out in the
backyard.

Our third dog we took was Orchid, a Pyrenean Shepherd.  The testers had NO
idea about the breed, and Orchid failed the test, mainly due to the
"unfriendly stranger" where someone with a green rain poncho over his head
comes toward the dog and handler, yelling and waving a stick.  Orchid got as
far behind Colette as she could.  I have no doubt that if Colette had
dropped the leash, Orchid would have run to the car and released the Pyrs to
guard everyone.  Personally, I think that was the proper response for the
dog, but Orchid failed the test.

I guess my bottom line is that the test is interesting just to see what your
dog will do, pass or fail.  It's something different, in a new place with
new people and definitely new experiences.  We learned a bit about all our
dogs, and felt it was a worthwhile afternoon and expense.

Warrick
mailto:warrickw@bond.net