[PyrNet-L] Re: CHAT: Albert news and stories and a warning

  I have been on vacation and then working full-time after I got back and also
doing research at home. So haven't been writing much.  Albert has been great
health-wise lately both tummy-wise and allergy-skin wise! Don't have any real
answers as to what the problems were, tho. So keeping my fingers crossed that
it doesn't happen again.
     He's so mischievious lately!! Just looking for things to get into!! I
hear many of his siblings are doing same thing! They are 10.5 mos. old now. He
was in the doghouse other day as he ripped my new couch - only new couch I've
ever owned in my life, too, on bottom of skirt. His sisters have all ripped
their couches too. Hoping I can fix it tomorrow on my day off. I'll try
ironing a patch on back in hopes it'll stay together.
    Just got a 2nd-hand crate for him at the thrift store I work at. It was
marked $15 but with one of my 50% off discount coupons I got the crate for
only $7.50!!!!! It's rare to get the big ones in, but we had 2 of them come in
the same day!! I got on the phone and found someone to get other one right
away, too. Disinfected it really well, of course. Unfortunately it's too big
for entry way. We will use it when we travel sometimes, though and maybe
eventually have room for it in house somewhere. (Working on additions)
     One day my son and I were taking him on 3 mile walk to store. On way back
he decided to play with the cows along the way. He's gotten so big that if he
really makes up his mind to go, I can't hold him back. I can just hold on is
all. And hold on I did, as he pulled me down into a four foot deep ditch and
through yukky cow poop ankle deep in bottom of ditch!! I was cow pie surfing,
trying not to let go of Albert but trying to keep my footing lest I be drug
face first through cow poop! Finally to stop him from reaching cows and seeing
cows and especially bull heading for fence and us, I threw myself sideways
onto my rump and hip and planted myself as firmly as possible on side of
ditch. That stopped him. Then the bull was charging us and got to within about
10 inches of us with his horns through the fence!! I grabbed Albert by his
ruff and scolded him a lot. Then we got up out of ditch to the accompaniment
of my son's hysterical giggles. [Kids are SO SWEET!!! (said sarcastically!)]
He thought the whole thing was hysterically funny! Even more so because
someone in a red car witnessed it all, too. Then we proceeded home and after a
few steps I noticed to my dismay that Albert's feet and legs were completely
CLEAN!!! Whereas I'm covered in cow poop all over my shoes socks, ankles and
shins! Cannot for the life of me figure out how he managed to stay clean when
he was running in front of me in same ditch!!! This is one for Scully &
Muldaur!!! (X-Files!)  On the way home I swear everyone I know that lives on
our street (5 mile loop) must have driven by us and seen me in my cow-poop-
covered state!!  After my ego eventually recovered, I could also laugh about
it!
     We now have a new No-Pull Harness for Albert!!! (It was either that or
I'd never walk him again!!!  LOL!!)  And it works like a dream!!! I felt like
I was in Heaven when I tried it!! He can still jump and play and doesn't seem
to mind it, BUT HE CAN'T PULL! Best $20 I ever spent on him! My hubby says
same thing!
     On our vacation we went on one camping trip with Albert to a campground
by the ocean. (Actually Illahee State Park by Bremerton on Puget Sound - but
beach is similar to ocean: saltwater, sand and waves.)  It was so hot that
Albert got in distress in the back of the van on the way while we were driving
down the road even with all the windows open. I kept asking son how Albert was
and he'd give Albert squirts of water to drink once in a while. Son said he
didn't look good once. I yelled at hubby to pull over NOW!! We pulled over and
got him out of back of our van into some shade and I poured water on his
belly, paws and face and forced some water down him. Then we poured water on
sidewalk and laid him on wet sidewalk in shade.He was one miserable pup! I'd
bought a battery powered fan to point at him in the back of the van, but when
we tried it , it was worthless - you could just barely feel a tiny breeze if
you put it 6 inches from your face!!  After Albert cooled off, I insisted on
putting him up front between the 2 seats and then he could feel more of the
breeze from the open windows and vents. He was much more comfortable then! I
could point the fan at him and if I held it really close (6 inches away) he
could get a breeze from it. He sometimes liked to put his paws on my lap and
look out window or put his paws on console and look out window! It was well
over 100 degrees and just too hot in back of van, even with side windows open.
(The side windows are those worthless ones that only open about an inch at the
bottom is all and bottom pushes out. Really don't let much air in at all.) On
100 degree days it's NOT ENOUGH!! It was lucky son noticed he wasn't doing
well, as I couldn't see him from the front. That was scarey! So want everyone
to keep on eye on their pets even when car is moving!! We hear so much about
not leaving pets alone in cars in heat, but don't hear enough about when the
vehicle is moving!! So especially if you have a van or SUV that has those
worthless windows like ours does in the back - be careful and watch your pet
for signs of distress. Keep a squirt bottle of water handy and maybe a
spray/spritzer bottle of water, too. And LOTS of water!! I was so thankfull
that we happened to have a couple gallons of water with us in the van and ice
cubes, too in the travel trailer's refrigerator. And don't buy a fan without
trying it out. That battery-operated one we got for Albert was worthless. Of
course couldn't try it out, as it didn't come with batteries so it wouldn't
work in store.They will be taking it back, though!!
     Albert enjoyed the woods and trails at the campground (So many smells to
sniff!) and we found a secluded campsite with LOTS of SHADE!!! He found a
hardball in the bushes and was thrilled with it!! Would throw it up in air and
catch it himself!  He kept it for a souvenier! He loved to go in the water!!!
Played fetch with driftwood and oyster shells and felt he had to attack every
wave!!! Would jump at and bite at the waves!! FUNNY!!  He got a lot of
exercise and it was good way for him to cool off. The worst part was him
taking in so much saltwater. Kept trying to get him not to drink it and
provided lots of fresh water in his squirt bottle and dish, but he kept taking
in saltwater. So he threw up twice as a result. He also loved to dig in the
sand!! Made the biggest holes!!
     Because of the heat we decided not to all go to California. Hubby went
and climbed mt. with our 20 yr. old son in Cal. and a friend of son's. Since
they were climbing mts. higher than I could handle and ones Albert wasn't
allowed on or even in the campground there, the rest of us stayed home. (I
told son I'd come in October or January) About 5 or 6 days later I left Albert
home with our 22 yr. old son for about 4 days while I took train trip to
Klamath Falls, Oregon with 11 yr. old son on train.  My hubby met us there on
his way back from Cal. and we went to see my brother that's dying of cancer
for probably last time. (Been in Hospice care for 16 mos. and that day Dr.
broke it to him that he'd never be able to move his legs again as it's in his
spine, too, now. Upsetting time. Did manage to distract him some from his
plight with stories of the trip to ocean and various Albert stories and get
him to remember happier times at ocean in his past. But also let him just cry,
too.)
    Afterwards we went to Oregon Caves and then over to the coast to Sea Lion
Caves. Headed North going along the coast on Hwy. 101. We stopped at an
aquarium where you could feed sea lions and seals. The sea lions were rowdy
and there was a cute harbor seal (the spotted ones) that was so sweet and
mellow but never got any food, as the sea lions always grabbed the food meant
for him. So I tried to get some to him and a sea lion jumped and went about 5
feet and bit me to get the food!! Not bad, but did draw blood and had to treat
it for infection. Good thing for that sea lion Albert wasn't there! Of course
knowing Albert he'd have wanted to PLAY with it or grab the food for himself!!

  :)  &  :)````   (me grinning, when I'm not screaming  :0  , and Albert
grinning and drooling!)

 Janice Vocke
 MagEBroD@aol.com
 Shelton, WA.