Re: [PyrNet-L] Puppy weight gain

Hi Gang, It's Confused Kathy......I've been reading that a lot of you take
your pups off of puppy chow at 6 mos. due to excessive weight gain and/or
rapid growth.  It was my understanding that there are nutrients, vitamins,
etc. in puppy chow to promote healthy bones, teeth, etc.  If this is true,
what do you use to supplement the pups for good health?

Kathy - I feed my dogs Pro Plan, and I would put Heidi on straight adult
food now.  Heidi is already in the standard at 6 1/2 months, she's probably
going to be a big girl!  But the puppy food is designed for rapid growth,
and at this point of Heidi's life you want her growth to slow down.  She
will still end up her full size, just do it slower.  If her bones and
muscles are trying to carry around so much weight before fully
strengthening, that in itself could cause problems or accelarate problems
such as Pano (IMHO).  With adult maintenance Pro Plan, I feel it has all
the nutrients and vitamins they need and I don't supplement the pups at
all.

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com
Oregon