Re: [PyrNet-L] Great information!!!

Welcome Alison.  Please feel free to ask any questions...we all like to
talk about our Pyrs!!

You are correct in your assumption that the reason we put Pyrs on adult
food around 6 months is to cut down on the rate of growth. I like to see
Pyr pups kept on the lean side.  In fact there are many Pyr breeder who
never feed puppy chow at all. In addition, there is some indication that
"hot" foods (those foods very high in protein and fat) that are great
for high-energy dogs can cause  problems for adult Pyrs. There have been
many studies on "over-suplementing" large breed dogs which indicate
adding  too much calcium or vitamins or adding things which will cause
the calcium:phosphorus ratio to become unbalanced can cause major growth
problems. For this reason most owners will feed only dry food w. perhaps
a bit of canned food to make it taste better.  Many people are using the
new lower-protein puppy Chow for Large Breed dogs (26% protein) and feed
adult food with similar protein %.

Have you checked out the Pyrnet web site (www. gamerz.net/pyrnet)for Pyr
info?  The major things everyone will tell you are that Pyrs are big,
they shed, they bark and they must be kept fenced or on leash or they
will roam......and they are wonderful!

Charlotte in Virginia

  I just want to make sure I understand a