[PyrNet-L] Clondike Baffles Oncologist

A 5-hour trip to the oncologist's office yesterday resulted in the
determination that we have a "strange dog."  If you are just coming into
this thread, Clondike is a 10 1/2 year-old Pyr bitch being treated with
chemotherapy for canine lymphoma (also called lymphosarcoma).  She has had
violent nausea and diarrhea from 2 of the 4 drugs used in this chemo
protocol, and the oncologist has tried various measures to help her
tolerate the drugs during this, the 2nd cycle.

It seems that Clondike's white count goes down faster than is usual when
on the chemo agents, and comes back up very nicely when given neupogen, a
bone marrow stimulating drug.  The problem we are facing now is that her
count has come back down to below normal, and why this is happening is
baffling to the oncologist.  She said she may want to do another bone
marrow test before administering what we hope will be the last chemo
treatment with doxorubicin (adriamycin).

A complicating factor is that Clondike had 2 seizure-like episodes while
vomiting from the last drug (cytoxan).  The oncologist wants us to rule
out a heart rhythm problem and, of course, the cardiologist is on vacation
this week.

The good news is that in spite of our vet feeling that one of the lymph
nodes in Clondikes' neck was slightly enlarged when we were in last week,
the oncologist says they are all normal and Clondike remains in complete
remission!

Clondike is beginning to feel much better, and on cool nights is dragging
my wife down the street, something she hasn't felt like doing for several
weeks.  She eats with great enthusiasm and is taking all her supplements,
so we hope her system can hold the remission while we figure out what to
do next.

I'll keep the list posted when we know more.

David

 David Kintsfather              | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Dept. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | INTERNET:    kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     |   "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |                Francis David