[PyrNet-L] Re: CHAT: Ivy arrives at IPPL!

	I'm so excited to report that IPPL has a new Pyr. After losing Sebastien,
there was a big hole in my heart and I got so many friendly messages. I
learned that Rivergroves had just retired some bitches to pet homes, and I
also learned that Nancy Sandoval had a 3 year old girl Ivy who might fit
into the IPPL situation. Nancy told me how loving and friendly Ivy was. So
last weekend I flew up to Washington for a day's work and rented a car for
the weekend to go to Maryland to meet Nancy and Ivy, and also visit
Rivergroves.
	When I got to Nancy's place, Ivy jumped up on my shoulders and was just
adorable. Apparently she had attended the Frederick Specialty and
befriended the vendors there. She never liked being shown. She was spayed
in April. Nancy had her hips x-rayed before my visit and they are just
beautiful. IPPL's vet tech thinks they are really excellent.
	Then we visited Rivergroves. It was so impressive seeing all Jean and
Wayne's magnificent animals. White, white, everywhere. So much activity and
the very best sandwiches. Seeing Jean's 12 year old super-stud Bond was
wonderful, what a superb old fellow.
	I hadn't planned to bring Ivy home and just had a small rented car. But I
decided we'd work things out to bring her home since I was coming home on a
night flight and it was a one-hour non-stopper from DC to Charleston.
Besides, I was totally captivated! So we got her health certificate, made
her a reservation and a reservation for a crate. Then Ivy and I set off
from Maryland to National Airport. Somehow, we made it to the plane on time!
	But someone could have made a comedy video of me parked in the airport
garage and picking off dog hairs one by one from the back seat!!!  I had
decided to check Ivy in for her flight, and then clean up the car in the
parking garage before returning the car. Then I lost my parking ticket and
would have had to pay $28 to get out of the garage and into the car rental
return area if someone didn't take pity on me (I admit I was looking
ragged!) and open up the gate!
	Anyway, we got home safely on Sunday night. Two of my animal care staff
and one of my office staff had word that Ivy was on the way and came in to
greet her at IPPL HQ. I have a lovely staff.
	Today is Friday and I pleased to report that our Miss Ivy is an absolute
sweetheart. She just loves EVERYONE. She is not totally perfect, though.
Yesterday she knocked over a bucket of newly picked scuppernong grapes!
	We already took some photos of her with Beanie the blind gibbon and shall
try to post some to our web site soon.
	Patou, being a macho type, was not entirely thrilled at Ivy's arrival, but
now he is getting used to her and let her give him a good sniffing-over
yesterday! We are introducing them slowly. We learned from working with
gibbons never to try to do anything too quickly when new relationships are
forming.
	We would like to thank Nancy Sandoval for donating Ivy to IPPL's care. Ivy
was deeply loved and Nancy thought we would give her a good home, and that
Ivy would fit into our rather odd situation.
	We had tornado warnings in our county yesterday and had 60 mph winds.
There are fallen branches all over our property and we were without power
for hours. Today is another day and a lovely day here.

Shirley, Patou and Ivy