Re: [PyrNet-L] Newbie to list needs help with "Nanna" (our pyr)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:52:22 -0600 (MDT), Judy Hancock wrote:

>The vet says she has a very tiny vulva and very big thighs and there's not
>enough ventilation there, so we've shaved the area and that does seem to
>help some. She's been on oral antibiotics several times, but the problem
>comes right back. This has been going on for a couple of YEARS or more, and
>I'm at my wits end. We've tried shampoos (but it *hurts* the poor girl and
>she fights it -- it's become virtually impossible even with 3 of us working
>together), and we've tried salt water soaks, trying to disinfect and dry
>out the area.

There is something in some dogs that I believe is called inverted
vulva. It happens in different degrees in different dogs. Depending
on the hair and the folds surrounding the area, it sure can cause
problems. The condition I'm thinking of can be surgically corrected.
My vet has referred several people to someone more qualified than him
to do the surgery. My Golden female has it to a lesser degree than
your dog does. I didn't even realize it until my vet pointed it out
to me, it's never caused my dog any problems though.
My advice is not to put ANYthing wet on there, it's just going to
irritate it more. If you've got to wash the area off just dab it with
a soft rag with plain tap water, then use a blowdryer on COOL (not
warm) and air dry it. I know that sounds like a pain, but we do what
we gotta do :-) You may have to do that 2-3 times a day, but it
should start looking much better in a day or 2. Talk to your vet, or
better yet a teaching hospital, about surgery for her. That may be
the way to go.
Mitzi Potter
Pyrs@prodigy.net   Oklahoma City  OK
http://members.aol.com/pyrs/dogs.htm