Re: [PyrNet-L] Early Spay/Neuter

On Wed, 23 Sep 98 21:57:40 PDT, Jean Fonatine-Vereb wrote:

>I recently heard that it is no longer recommended to spay/neuter large breed dogs earlier than 8 months of age due to bone loss at maturity.  It is still recommended to spay/neuter small and medium dog breeds as early as 12 to 16 weeks of age.   Has anyone else heard this from a veterinary school in California state?

Haven't ever heard of it. My Pyrs, Goldens, Newfs are all
spayed/neutered between 5-6 months of age. Hmmm.....I just checked
and it looks like they've all got lots of bone <g>. Actually my Pyrs
are quite tall compared to most I see. My boys are 30 1/2-32 inches
at the shoulder. The *DISadvantages of waiting that long far outweigh
any possible problems.
Mitzi Potter
Pyrs@prodigy.net   Oklahoma City  OK
http://members.aol.com/pyrs/dogs.htm