Re: [PyrNet-L] Early Spay/Neuter

> I recently heard that it is no longer recommended to spay/neuter large
breed dogs earlier than 8 months of age due to bone loss at maturity.

Spaying or neutering a pup as early as 6 to 8 weeks (not months) has been
done for over 20 years.  I just finished a research paper on the subject
and have done early spay neuters on pups this age.  When pups are neutered
this early, their growth plate takes an extra month to close, therefore
allowing an extra month of bone growth.  Pyrs altered early tend to be a
fraction of an inch taller than their unaltered siblings due to this.  This
is growth in the long bone, and has no affect on the joints.  And yes, some
of this info has come from California.

If you have a website or article to refer to, I would be interested in
reading it.

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com
Oregon