[PyrNet-L] Lymphoma/Clondike Update

For newcomers to this thread, Clondike is a spayed Pyr bitch who will be
11 on Nov. 5th.  At the beginning of the summer she was diagnosed with
canine lymphoma and began a course of chemotherapy, some of which made her
gravely ill.

She has just completed the full protocol of chemotherapy (they omitted
the adriamycin the 2nd cycle because of her severe reaction to it) and 5
days of monoclonal antibody therapy.  On her 1st post-chemo checkup today
she is still evaluated as being in complete remission.

Equally important, she is feeling WONDERFUL!  It has gotten cool here in
PA in the last 2 days (after record-breaking heat on Sunday), and Ms.
Clondike is full of herself.  Last night she absolutely floated along on
our evening walk, moving like a dream (she has had rear-end weakness
caused by the chemo reaction and low thyroid).  Even more amazing, not
long after quite a long walk, she got up from in front of the TV and
ambled off to the rear of the house--I assumed to find a quiet place to
nap.  NOT SO!  She just wanted a nice long path to get up some speed.  She
started running at the back of the house and came tearing into the living
room to pounce on her ChewBear, which she then threw across the room.
This was a weekly occurrence pre-chemo, but we haven't see such enthusiasm
for some weeks now.

This morning she charged up the hill opposite our house and then dragged
me down at a gallop, eager for another "road trip" to the oncologist's
office (about 1 1/2 hours away).  It is a good thing she likes the drive,
because they want to examine her every 2 weeks :(.

The monoclonal antibody therapy was "interesting."  It is administered in
a slow drip, usually taking about 2 hours.  Sensitive dogs, however, can
have some GI distress if it is administered too fast, so the technicians
slowed it way down and it averaged about 3 hours.  This is supposed to be
administered on 5 successive days, but they wanted to start her last
Thurs., so we skipped Sunday.  Fortunately Nancy and I could split up the
trips, but each treatment took almost 6 hours including travel time, so it
made for some loooong days!

The culture of the oncologist's office is interesting to observe and
someday I'll go into more detail.  There is a bond that forms between
people (and some dogs) who are on a similar schedule, and on days when
most people are getting "good news" there are congratulations and a
generally positive atmosphere.  I think they should have a little
graduation ceremony for animals that complete chemo.

On one day, however, several people were getting "bad news" and things
really got quiet in the whole amazingly busy clinic.  I should mention
that it is so busy that the doctors often examine animals in the lobby and
they are flitting around so fast (everyone wears running shoes) that they
seldom take time to shut exam room doors.  The IVs are administered in
small alcoves which have curtains, but most people leave them open.  So
there is a very open atmosphere and a lot of visiting among people while
IVs are going.

In any case, reactions to the monoclonal antibody treatments are usually
minor flu-like symptoms, but they are totally individual to the animal,
even more so than with the chemo agents.  Clondike had slightly soft
stools for 2 days, but then they returned to normal.  She had no other
effects that we could observe.  They do prescribe Benedryl for the entire
treatment week and 5 additional days to help ward off allergic reactions
to the strange (mouse-derived) cells being pumped into the animals.  It
does explain why most of the animals on monoclonals sleep through the
drip.

Of course Clondike always wanted to kink up her wrist--always the
individualist.  TODAY, when we were just there for a quick exam, she lies
down (in the aisle, of course), extends her wrist, and goes to sleep--the
perfect patient!

The oncologist said the average 1st remission lasts 4 months, but then
Clondike has never been average.  We hope for a long remission and we are
trying to take things one day at a time, enjoying her good days.  She was
able to participate in her 2nd post-chemo therapy visit to the nursing
home this last Sunday and she made a big hit as always.  She stayed for an
entire hour (nearly our usual visit) and didn't appear very tired.

She is on thyroid medicine and we hope to see some new fur soon to cover
the numerous places that have had to be shaved since this whole process
started.  She really looks like the "before" picture for the Hair Club for
Dogs right now, but none of the residents at the nursing home has seemed
to notice, and 2 of her boyfriends who paid court to her at the recent
Penn-Dutch Regional thought the "punk" look suited her.

Thanks for all the support we have received from this cyber community
throughout the summer.  Your thoughts and prayers have helped more than I
can say.

Hugs to everyone,

David (for Nancy and Clondike)

 David Kintsfather              | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Dept. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | INTERNET:    kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     |   "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |                Francis David