Re: [PyrNet-L] Itchy update

On 30 Sep 98, at 20:45, Charlotte & Jack Perry wrote:
> I've been told many times that most allergies seem to be due to food.
> However, when the itchiness is the feet and legs, I would wonder about
> grass allergy or something the pup comes in contact with through the feet.

Ah, but this is one of the common areas that itching manifests
from an allergy.  Once exposed to a sensitizing substance, dog
produces IgE, that in turn binds to mast cells which have specific
receptor sites on their cell membranes.  Mast cells most often
occur in the skin around the feet, the face and the trunk.

Food intolerance can cause itching and can either be generalized
or restricted to the face or feet (where mast cells are most
commonly found).

Janice, janices@jump.net
Admiral & Linsey (newfs), Bianca & Sonny (pyrs)
http://www.jump.net/~janices/
Leander, TX
Visit Old West Newfoundland Club's website at
http://www.jump.net/~janices/ownc/