Re: [PyrNet-L] Albert & I visit a non-pyr rescue dog that's a former victim o...

In a message dated 10/28/98 9:42:01 AM Pacific Standard Time,
SDOBSCHA@lnmta.bentley.edu writes:

<< if you don't have the time to specifically dedicate to this dog
 and the patience (and it takes ALOT!) to deal with the long term behavioral
 problems then i would think twice about getting this dog.  our whole
 lifestyle has changed to accomodate this dog, and in retrospect i don't
 think i would get another rescue who has been abused.

   The reason they are considering us is that we have had abused rescues
before and had the patience needed to deal with their initial fears and
distrust. However we got them soon after their abuse occurred. I'd quite
frankly feel better about this if I didn't already have a pyr pup I need to
work with on obedience. I wasn't originally looking for an abused dog with
residual problems. I was looking for a playmate for Albert. Most of the
rescues I've taken in seemed to bounce back fairly quickly with a lot of TLC &
within a few months they had no issues left to deal with. And were the most
wonderful pets & ones that you couldn't ever imagine anyone wanting to
mistreat in a million years or getting angry with. Sweetest, most affectionate
animals ever!! I tend to trust my own gut instincts a lot and feel like I'll
know if and when it's a right match. So far, although my heart really goes out
to this poor dog, I don't have that feeling that it's a good match .....yet. I
may still come to feel that way later, though. We'll see.... Definitely taking
it slow.
   I appreciate your comments and yes, you are right it is a huge committment
and does take a lot of patience. It is not for everyone. And it depends a lot
on the dog and it's behavior problems.

Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol.com
Shelton, Washington