[PyrNet-L] CARE, CHAT: A fencing caution re: power lines

   We had something happen that I have never considered before.  My son called
me at work to tell me that the power had just gone out. I told him NOT to try
to light any matches or candles and I told him where the flashlights were anfd
told him to hold onto railing and go down stairs very carefully and they were
on bookcase at bottom of stairs on right. I got home about 6pm.  It turned out
the power outage was just at our house. The circuit breaker box checked out
OK.  I called our power company to report it.  They said they would be out in
a few hours. We went outside, but it was hard to see in the dark even with
flashlights.  Then it hit us:  Albert was in his pen and the power line goes
over his fence and gate.  I was terrified!  We kept trying to see whether the
line was down there, but in the dark with rain pouring down, and tree branches
in the way, visibility wasn't good enough.  Of course Albert kept getting by
fence, as he wanted out with us. I threw bagels and meatballs and treats in
his doghouse to keep him occupied. We called the power company and I asked if
there were some way to see if our fencing around our dog pen was electrified
without getting hurt.  They said to stay away from it and they would be out in
a few hours.  I got upset and said I was scared for my dog's safety!!  They
said to wait till they got there.  Well, easier said than done!  We moved our
vehicles around to point that direction and turned on our headlights' high
beams.  Then we could tell that the power line was intact there by his pen.
We got him out and hugged him like crazy and I cried tears of relief a bit.
There was no way I could sit and wait for hours worrying whether he might be
electrocuted any second.  The electric company repair crew arrived at about
midnight and power was back on at 1:30am.  Turns out the transformer was
pulled right out of the pole and power line was almost reaching the ground
about 50 feet from the power pole at the road.  The power crew said that it
would take something very BIG like a huge tree to do that.  However none of us
could see anything that could have caused it.  No down trees or branches. They
couldn't fathom how it happened.  Sounds like one for Scully and Muldaur to
me!  Maybe a UFO with a rowdy maverick pilot buzzed us too close to the power
line?????  <VBG>
   Anyway I really wanted to share this. If you are considering where to put a
dog pen or kennel, you may keep in mind where the power line runs. This was a
very tense time and I'd like to spare someone else from going through this and
wouldn't want any pyrs hurt.

Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol.com
Shelton, WA.