Re: [PyrNet-L] Flock Guardian Pyr Problem

> >This is not the popular attitude to take, but I for one really do
> want to
> >know what caused the bite in the first place.  Too many dogs period,
> are
> >getting put down for biting, with no consideration as to why?  Any
> dog
> >can bite, good or bad, so that WHY is important!  A dog bites once
> and
> >gets put down, a human slaughters a dozen people and gets to sit on
> death
> >row for 20 years appealing.  A little more compassion for the animals
>
> >please!  After all, dogs are the product of our making, and they only
> try
> >to manage in the screwed up human world!

   Hi ,
     I just read both of these post's...    But what's going to happen
next time when a 7 yr old kid doesn't "listen to
    instructions" and wanders into the yard?
    Firstly, yard's are private property! No one has a right or any
business in my yard uninvited. If they come in anyway, that is called
trespassing and is illegal. If, they come uninvited when a dog is there
growling or friendly really, they 'almost' deserve what they get because
they have asked for it and it and was a dumb move to begin with. The
fenced off acre for the pyrs on my land has NO Trespassing signs on it
every 20' with my signature on each one. Thank God in the state of
Maine, when an intruder of any sort enters  despite these warnings, not
only do I have a right to protect my house and property with a gun if
necessary, my pys have a right to do their job of guardians that they
were bred for Jonah & Lexi were bred for. This, of course, means a bite
only for any life threatening situation and only as a last resort. After
all is said and done isn't that one of the reasons I own The Great
Pyrenees dog. of dog.
Biting dogs are a liability.
    So are hoodlum children
The owner has

> already shown he's not capable of controlling the dog to the point
> that it won't
> injure anyone.

    Then let him give it to someone who is!

> The average owner can't housebreak their dog properly (I worked for a
> vet, I have
> proof <G>), how on earth can they be expected to deal with a giant
> breed known
> biter?! And an experienced owner isn't going to take that dog because
> they ARE
> experienced, they know better.

    I might.

> I save my "compassion" for those dogs who are slated to die through no
> fault of
> their own. It infuriates me to no end to see all the posts on "rescue"
> lists of people
> trying to find homes for aggressive dogs & known biters. They have no
> place in
> society.

    I don't save my compassion at all. Especially for under dogs of any
species.

> Think of it this way-if someone in NE takes that dog in to foster (God
> forbid they
> have kids) then the next *well-tempered Pyr that shows up in that NE
> shelter will
> have no place to go.

    Hooey!

> Because the foster home already has the biting dog in her
> home. And how do you even *begin to place a 140 lb dog that has
> already
> "severely" bitten someone and was sitting on death row *because of
> that bite?
> Nobody in their right mind is going to adopt that dog. (Key words here
> are "right
> mind").

    I have never claimed to have a right mind. <bg>

> Would YOU take him into your home? Even if the stranger had ventured
> into the
> yard and that's the reason she was bitten badly-would you take that
> dog into your
> house?

    All in all, that's not too bad of a reason for a dog to bite now is
it? The stranger, apparently was an intruder, as the police would say.

> Trust him around your kids?

    I do not have any, however, even then if I were a dang good dog
parent and teacher, I might decide to, after my family and I had met the
dog, heard it'd history and we all agreed to try to reform the little
devil.

> Your neighbors?

    My neighbor's respect me, my pyrs and all my land.

> I hope I don't offend you, Cindy. I know you're very kind-hearted. But
> if ever a
> dog "deserved" *not to be pulled from a shelter (sad as it is) it's a
> 140 lb known
> biter.

    No dog ever, ever 'deserves to be killed. It is NOT a punishment.
Unfortunately, sometimes with some dogs there is no choice because
everything else has been tried. Someone well known in the dog world
thought as Cindy and  Ido on this subject. I believe it was Barbara
Woodhouse that stated "there are no bad dogs only bad owners". But, at
least some dog owner's try. As Scarlet O'Hara once said, " As God is my
witness," I would try!
 Take good care,
    Judith, Jonah & Lexi