Re: [PyrNet-L] Flock Guardian Pyr Problem

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:57:04 -0600, clhenke@juno.com wrote:

>This is not the popular attitude to take, but I for one really do want to
>know what caused the bite in the first place.  Too many dogs period, are
>getting put down for biting, with no consideration as to why?  Any dog
>can bite, good or bad, so that WHY is important!  A dog bites once and
>gets put down, a human slaughters a dozen people and gets to sit on death
>row for 20 years appealing.  A little more compassion for the animals
>please!  After all, dogs are the product of our making, and they only try
>to manage in the screwed up human world!  Sounded to me, like the woman
>didn't listen to instructions provided for her own safety, not that the
>dog ran out to attack her without provocation.

But what's going to happen next time when a 7 yr old kid doesn't "listen to
instructions" and wanders into the yard? Biting dogs are a liability. The owner has
already shown he's not capable of controlling the dog to the point that it won't
injure anyone.
The average owner can't housebreak their dog properly (I worked for a vet, I have
proof <G>), how on earth can they be expected to deal with a giant breed known
biter?! And an experienced owner isn't going to take that dog because they ARE
experienced, they know better.
I save my "compassion" for those dogs who are slated to die through no fault of
their own. It infuriates me to no end to see all the posts on "rescue" lists of people
trying to find homes for aggressive dogs & known biters. They have no place in
society.
Think of it this way-if someone in NE takes that dog in to foster (God forbid they
have kids) then the next *well-tempered Pyr that shows up in that NE shelter will
have no place to go. Because the foster home already has the biting dog in her
home. And how do you even *begin to place a 140 lb dog that has already
"severely" bitten someone and was sitting on death row *because of that bite?
Nobody in their right mind is going to adopt that dog. (Key words here are "right
mind").
Would YOU take him into your home? Even if the stranger had ventured into the
yard and that's the reason she was bitten badly-would you take that dog into your
house? Trust him around your kids? Your neighbors?
I hope I don't offend you, Cindy. I know you're very kind-hearted. But if ever a
dog "deserved" *not to be pulled from a shelter (sad as it is) it's a 140 lb known
biter.
~Mitzi  Potter
~Pyrs@prodigy.net   Okla City   OK
~http://members.aol.com/fivepyrs/dogsz.htm