Re: [PyrNet-L] Our letters and opinions need to be based on whole truth!!

On 20 Dec 98, at 9:31, Terese Arsenault wrote:
> Janice is very accurate in describing a bite. I've groomed numerous rescues
> trying to give them that "adoptable" edge. Over the years I've been nailed a
> few times. Bites are very painful and usually get infected. The underlying
> tissue damage is often worse than what you see. The wounds do take time to
> heal. It is an unpleasant experience.

This is correct.  I've also been nailed by one of my own dogs and
sorry, I've long since sent him to rainbow bridge.  I came close to
having surgery on my arm and the bites got the tendons and
ligaments in my arm.  I'm right handed and my right arm got nailed
and it's not the stronger of my 2 arms anymore.  I've had the
cortisone shots done into the joints with the probability of tearing
again because of the weakening.

> Ownership responsibilities are one of the first topics I cover in an
> obedience class. I want to impress upon the pet owners that there is more to
> gain from obedience than a dog that will sit. The law is not very forgiving
> concerning bites and neither are insurance companies.

This is reality, folks.  The laws are not forgiving anymore in any
situation.  I keep a lock on the fence gate all the time because I
don't want kids going in my back yard for any reason or a gate
getting accidently opened.  I do an awfully lot of teaching for my
dog's sake and safety, to protect them against what I can't
predict....the kid who doesn't listen to mommy and daddy, the kid
who doesn't know how to behave and the people who will pet the
dog anyway.

I was doing a therapy visit at our nursing home with Linsey.  A
mother and child came through the door and the boy didn't even
stand as tall as Linsey.  All she had to do is move and he would
have been knocked down.  He could not stay away from the dog
and listen to mommy and Linsey following her teaching just sat
and let the boy be a boy and I also put her in a down stay so she
could be petted and fussed over.  Everytime they'd start going
down the hall the little boy would break away from mommy and
keep coming back to find the big doggy and here we'd go again.
Linsey took all this in stride.  And I don't know how many times I've
had Bianca (in the past before she was retired) out to have a child
come up unexpectedly and not listen and grab her around the neck
in a big hug or pull a tail or something and she not do nothing.  And
this is even on property.

> The fact is the dog bit
> and that is essentially enough.

No offense here, but I really stress if your dog has bitten to get
professional help immediately.  Do not wait.  It's really simple.
Dogs only do what works.  Once they discover a behavior that
works they will continue to do it and they only have to get away
with it once for it to become something learned.

I also assist rescue and do rescue and our rescue won't mess with
a dog that has bitten a person other than taking and euthanizing
because we can't afford the liability from a lawsuit.  This is the
reality of rescue.

Just my $.02.

Happy Holidays to all!

Janice, janices@jump.net
Admiral & Linsey (newfs), Bianca & Sonny (pyrs)
http://www.jump.net/~janices/
Leander, TX
Visit Old West Newfoundland Club's website at
http://www.jump.net/~janices/ownc/