Re: [PyrNet-L] Our letters and opinions need to be based on whole truth!!

Janice is very accurate in describing a bite. I've groomed numerous rescues
trying to give them that "adoptable" edge. Over the years I've been nailed a
few times. Bites are very painful and usually get infected. The underlying
tissue damage is often worse than what you see. The wounds do take time to
heal. It is an unpleasant experience.

Ownership responsibilities are one of the first topics I cover in an
obedience class. I want to impress upon the pet owners that there is more to
gain from obedience than a dog that will sit. The law is not very forgiving
concerning bites and neither are insurance companies. One of my stories to
my classes concerns a former neighbor. They had a happy-go-lucky Golden that
loved to greet people as they went by the house. They got away with allowing
this behavior for 2 years. One day the Golden greeted a jogger and knocked
her down on the pavement. Nothing viscous, no bites, no scratches, but the
women was hurt. The end result was a lawsuit and a judgement against the
Golden owners. They ended up losing their house.

It is often upsetting for pet owners to learn that facts, opinions, reason
and good intentions which seem so important to them can have such a
negligible effect on the outcome concerning bites. The fact is the dog bit
and that is essentially enough.

Terese